XTX50 DS4 Regulator
£333.00 RRP £394.00 In StockPlease note: This item cannot be shipped outside the European Union - learn more
The Apeks XTX50 DS4 Regulator is a cold water regulator made to be simple and efficient and work in colder waters. The compact 1st stage is environmentally sealed and used all around the world by high level divers because of it's reliability.
The XTX 50 2nd stage is a light weight polymer body that has a reversible design which can change from a left hand to a right hand configuration and back again easily by an Apeks technician.
Both a Venturi Lever and Breathing Adjustment left you control air flow by interrupting free-flows before they occur and customise the breathing effort of the 2nd stage while in the water.
The DS4 is a compact over-balanced 1st stage that is at home in both cold and warm water. Stripped down the DS4 has four low pressure ports and one high pressure port making it great for a single cylinder setup or for twins or a stage cylinder.
This compact first stage has four medium-pressure ports and one high-pressure port.
Features an innovative Diver Changeable Exhaust system (DCE). The system gives the diver the ability to change from a small exhaust tee to a large exhaust tee. This gives the user a choice, wider exhaust tee for minimal bubble interference (essential for underwater photography) and narrow exhaust tee for a smaller compact comfortable regulator. The regulator is supplied with both sets of exhaust tees.
Can be converted from a right-handed hose configuration to a left-handed one. The process of changing the regulator to a left-handed configuration is both quick and simple. However this procedure must ONLY be performed by an APEKS Authorised Service Technician
Braided flexi-hoses are now standard on all models. These hoses are lighter weight, more flexible and more durable.
Suitable for coldwater use (below 10°C / 50°F).
- DS4 first stage - no rotating turret.
- Unique over-balanced, diaphragm design - as the diver descends, the over-balancing feature allows the medium pressure gas in the hose to increase at a rate faster than ambient. This results in superior performance at depth.
- An environmental dry system keeps water out of the main spring chamber thus preventing ice buildup and keeping silt and contamination out.
- Pneumatically-balanced second stage results in smooth, easy breathing.
- The XTX purge buttons are large and easy to operate. A 2-stage progressive purge is used - press the purge on the side for a lower flow rate, useful where more control is required such as filling lift bags etc, then press in the centre for the full effect of the purge, i.e. when regulator clearing etc.
- The large venturi lever has a soft touch rubber grip, which makes it easier to locate and use. The lever reduces the amount of grit ingress and therefore resists any possible friction giving a smooth operation.
- Easy-to-grip opening effort control knob keeps the diver in control.
- The second stage is manufactured with active protection against infection as all molded parts are produced with an additive that kills MRSA, protects against E-Coli, bacteria and fungi, and is also very effective against viruses, mould, yeast and algae.
- A silicone exhaust valve improves the breathing performance of the regulator.
- The Comfo-bite™ mouthpiece virtually eliminates jaw-fatigue.
- A heat exchanger (patented) which surrounds the valve mechanism, dissipates the cold caused by gas expansion while drawing in the warmth of the ambient water
Over-balanced diaphragm design, environmentally sealed
Number of HP ports 1 (7/16" UNF)
Number of MP ports 4 (3/8" UNF)
Environmental Dry Kit Standard
First stage exterior Chrome over marine brass
Orientation Convertible LH or RH
Opening Effort Control Knob
Integrated Venturi Lever
Exhaust tee Diver Changeable
Heat Exchanger for freezing resistance
Apeks XTX50 DS4 Regulator - Features
?This feature allows the diver to adjust the inhalation setting from the set level and increase the effort required to open the 2nd stage valve to deliver air. Close.
?The venturi control affects how air flows in the 2nd stage. In it's positive position the flow of gas creates a vacuum against the diapragm, helping to open the valve. In it's negative position it will divert gas back against the diaphragm helping to close the valve. It is basically used to help prevent free flowing. Close.
|Cold Water Rated|
?Cold water has adverse effects on regulators and can cause some to freeze so each regulator combination must be tested during manufacturing for their performance in different water temperatures.
Cold water is defined by EN250 as below 10°C. If a regulator combination cannot meet the performance standards below 10°C then they are only suitable for warm waters.
EN250 / (EN250A >10°C)
To pass the regulator must provide at least 62.5 L/min of air at 50M depth above 10°C. Close.
|Cold & Warm Water|
?Environmentally sealed 1st stages offer greater protection against freezing when diving in cold water (below 10 degrees C)
Scubapro have a new method of cold water proofing their first stages called the eXtended Thermal Insulating System or XTIS which still allows water into the first stage but the internal parts that come into contact with the water are coated to prevent ice from forming. Close.
?Unbalanced regulators are affected by the pressure in the cylinder, becoming slighty harder to breathe from when the pressure starts to drop.
Balanced regulators are not affected by the cylinder pressure or depth.
Over-balanced regulators achieve unprecedented performance by increasing your air supply the deeper you go providing the best breathe for deep divers. Close.
|High Pressure Ports|
?High pressure ports supply the pressure gauge and wireless transmitters for dive computers Close.
|Low Pressure Ports|
?Low pressure ports supply the 2nd stages and inflator hoses Close.
?An Unbalanced second stage is simply a lever operated valve that is opened and closed as the diaphragm is pulled inwards by the vacuum that is created when the diver inhales. An unbalanced second stage is affected by increased pressure at depth, slightly increasing the effort required to open the valve.
A Balanced second stage overcomes the effects of increased pressure by utilising a balancing chamber. This chamber takes some of the work away from the spring mechanism, allowing a smaller spring to be used which results in an easier breathe. As the chamber uses air to balance the valve it maintains the same resistance as the diver descends and ascends, keeping the inhalation effort the same. Close.
?All regulators need to be serviced to keep them in working order as the parts inside them age and wear over time and with use. Most regulators need to be serviced once a year or after 100 dives with normal recreational use to replace parts and re-balance.
Some regulators use more modern materials or mechanisms that allow them to extend the servicing interval that can save you some money in the long run. Close.
|1 Year - 100 Dives|
We offer free tracked UK standard delivery on orders over £50.
Standard UK delivery is £3.95 for orders under £50. You will receive your order 2 - 4 days from the date of despatch. Order by 3pm on a working weekday and we will aim to despatch the same day.
Next Working Day for the UK is £6.95.
We hope you will be completely satisfied with any product purchased from Simply Scuba.
However, you can return it for any reason within 28 days from the date of despatch for a full refund (less postage costs).
Royal Mail tracked return option within the UK for your convenience.
Watch the video
Scuba regulator Advice
Choosing The Right Regulator
Looking for advice on choosing the right regulator?
Not a problem. Watch our video from our in-house expert Mark.
What To Buy DIN Or A-Clamp
Not sure which connection to go for?
Watch our video with Mark to learn which is best for you.
What Are Cold Water Regs
What makes a good cold water regulator?
Watch our video from our in-house expert Mark to find out what to look for.